DIY ~ easy bag top door stop

Shabby Art Boutique door stop 2

I’ve just had the loveliest of weekends. . . gorgeous spring weather, a leisurely morning spent strolling around our foreshore handmade market and 2 days of simply pottering around the house and garden doing ‘odd jobs’.

No fixed plans. Nothing on the social calendar (for a change). Just pottering. It was completely relaxing.

I had the chance to attend to a few of the ‘jobs’ that seem to have been loitering around forever on my ‘To Do’ list . . . like this door stop for example.

Shabby Art Boutique door stop 3

Living by the sea, we have an easterly sea breeze that blows through our house. While that cooling breeze is much appreciated on a warm day, I’m not so fuzzed on slamming doors . . . which seem to go with sea breezes.

So I whipped up this super quick and easy bag top door stop. . . with some added French graphics from our favourite, The Graphics Fairy.

The step-by-step instructions on how to construct the bag are on my post back here.

Shabby Art Boutique door stop 4

So would you like to add some gorgeous French graphics to your bag door stop bag?

1. Firstly, you will need to iron some Reynolds Freezer Paper to the back of your main fabric (slightly larger than an A4 piece of paper).

2. Lay a piece of A4 paper on the paper side of the Reynolds Freezer paper and trace around it.

3. Cut around the outline. . . now you have a piece of paper backed fabric ready to feed through your printer.

4. If you’d like to use the same graphic that I did, you can download my pattern sheet here.

5. Print on fabric. Always take care when feeding fabric through your printer.

6. You will need another A4 piece of the main fabric, plus 2 x A4 pieces of the lining fabric to construct the bag. I used a ripped strip of black linen for my tie, because I have a black desk in my study, but you can use any coloured coordinating fabric for the tie.

7. Follow my instructions for constructing the bag here, then fill with sand or rice and secure with a tie.

Handy hint: I place my door stop weights inside a large snap lock bag inside the door stop to prevent any accidental spills. . . hmm, I know this one from experience . . . let’s just say that a puppy and a bag of sand was too much of a temptation!!

There you have it . . . a quick 40 minute weekend project that has now been ticked off my ‘To Do’ list.

I’ll be sharing this at the following parties this week: The Graphics Fairy, French Country Cottage, Faded Charm, The Vintage Farmhouse, 36th Avenue, Clean and Scentsible, Live Laugh Rowe, The Common Ground, The DIY Dreamer, At The Picket Fence, The Cottage Market, Nifty Thrifty Sunday, Freckled Laundry.

Hugs ~ Kerryanne