A shabby vintage Christmas

This year I’ve taken a ‘simple’ approach to Christmas. . .

And by simple I mean that I’ve pared right back on the decorations.

Shabby Art Boutique Christmas 1

I’m well known for my over the top. . . decorate every room. . . plus every nook and cranny. . . (and then some), approach to Christmas!

I adore the whole Christmas season and being surrounded by decorations fills me with joy.

I still love Christmas. . .  but this year is just a little different for me.

Shabby Art Boutique Christmas 2

It’s been a difficult year for various reasons. . . and I’m feeling quite nostalgic. . .

Perhaps that is why a simple shabby, vintage Christmas appealed to me this year.

Over the next few days I thought I’d share with you a couple of my Christmas rooms, plus a few DIY tutorials for some of the projects incorporated in my shabby, vintage decorating. Most of them can be used for a more traditional colour scheme too, if you’d prefer.

Shabby Art Boutique Christmas 3

This dresser is in my family room. . . you may remember the book print and paper rose Christmas trees from last year.

The tutorial for the  paper roses is HERE.

When I decorated my dresser for Christmas I had a blank spot in the centre, so I made these really quick and easy wood blocks that spell the word ‘Believe’.

This is a project that is completely adaptable. . . made using standard dressed pine, with either power or hand tools.

Shabby Art Boutique Believe letters 2

Requirements:

24” (60 cm) of 7 cm wide dressed pine,

Drop saw or hand saw for cutting lengths of pine,

Sandpaper,

Paint colours of choice – I used DecoArt Americana Toffee and Warm White,

Matt spray varnish,

Template for lettering – see note,

Normal painting supplies.

Note: I used my silhouette machine to cut out the lettering, but you could use a stencil or enlarge lettering in Microsoft Word and trace and hand paint the letters on your blocks.

Shabby Art Boutique Believe letters

Instructions:

This technique could be used to make blocks spelling any word combination and in any colour.

Shabby Art Boutique Believe letters 3

I’m sharing my Believe block project at this week’s link parties and with these friends: French Country Cottage, The Vintage Farmhouse, 36th Avenue, Clean and Scentsible, Live Laugh Rowe, The DIY Dreamer, Transformation Thursday, At The Picket Fence, Nifty Thrifty Sunday.