String up some burlap bunting

You know I love me some burlap. . . oh yes I do!

There’s just something about the rustic homespun quality of burlap that scream homely.

Shabby Art Boutique - burlap stockings 1

 

Boy it’s come a long way from its origins in coffee and flour sacks. . . these days it is incorporated in a plethora of crafting and DIY projects.

And why not. . . it’s inexpensive, has a fabulous texture and is one of the most adaptable fabrics.

I love it coupled with my Christmas decorating and this year I’ve added some burlap bunting to my line up.

Shabby Art Boutique burlap bunting 2

 

It is so super quick and easy to make. . . and you can make it to fit any word . . . hmm, think of the possibilities!

Burlap Bunting

What you will need:

Burlap,

Pattern piece (see photo below),

Jute twine,

Sewing machine and normal sewing supplies (see note),

Note: you could sew the burlap pennants by hand.

Preparation: Save this template to your computer (right click and ‘Save As’). Open it in a word document and size accordingly. I made my pennants 18cm high.

Shabby Art Boutique Burlap Bunting Template

Instructions:

1. Start by cutting out your banner pennants using my pattern. Cut enough pennants to fit the number of letters in your word.

Shabby Art Boutique burlap bunting 1

1. Fold over the top tab and press in place with a steam iron.

2. Pop your pennants onto your jute twine and pin in place…. check your spacing and don’t forget to leave enough jute at the end to tie up your bunting.

3. Sew a seam across each pennant just below the jute twine in a co-ordinated coloured cotton.

Shabby Art Boutique - burlap bunting 3

4. I use a stencil for quick lettering. This is a dry brush technique, so don’t wet your stencil brush first. Dip the brush in white paint and wipe most of it off on a scrap piece of paper towel. Position your stencil on the burlap pennant. Hold the brush upright and using an up and down motion, apply the paint to the stencil. When finished, remove stencil and wipe clean. Reposition stencil on next burlap pennant and continue stencilling the letters on.

Wasn’t that easy!!

Now you can hang burlap bunting anywhere and everywhere.

Okay. . . I’ve still got several meters of burlap. . . hmm, what will I make next?

I’ll be sharing my Christmas bunting with the link parties and these friends this week: French Country Cottage, The Vintage Farmhouse, 36th Avenue, Clean and Scentsible, Live Laugh Rowe, The DIY Dreamer, Transformation Thursday, At The Picket Fence, Nifty Thrifty Sunday.