Necessity is the mother of invention!

I think we’ve all heard that age old saying ~ Necessity is the mother of invention. . .

well there’s nothing like a difficult situation to inspire ingenious solutions and that’s what I’ve been up to this week.

I’ve professed my love for drop cloth on this blog on many an occasion . . . and it was through necessity that I’ve found a new use for the humble painter’s cloth.

Yes my friends, I give you the drop cloth doona cover.

I guess the old drop cloth wouldn’t be most people’s first choice for fine bed linen, but on this occasion it fits the bill perfectly.

To cut a long story short, due to some major backyard landscaping we have a large area of exposed earth out back. Now our rich and fertile soil is a gardeners dream, but it also happens to be dark red in colour and stains absolutely everything. Add to the mix our beloved house dogs and tropical rain and you probably get the picture. . . we’ve had a disastrous mishap with a mischievous wet and muddy puppy who thought it a wonderful game to race around the house with the whole family chasing her. Luckily we have floorboards, so the damage was minimised to a ruined doona/bed cover.

So we needed some new temporary linen in the master bedroom that was cheap, hard wearing and still looked acceptable. Drop cloth has never failed me yet and I have to say I’m pretty chuffed with the outcome of the new doona cover.

I added a little personal touch by stencilling the word ‘love’ using textile paint.

I was also able to incorporate the manufacturers fabric joins into the design. . . and I think they added a little texture to the otherwise plain cover. The addition of some white crochet lace on both the cover and the pillowslips continued the romantic theme and ties in beautifully with the white bed sheets.

Of course, as you would expect. . . now that we have a temporary cover there hasn’t been so much as a muddy paw print or a wet nose mark!!

Doona cover ~ drop cloth by Bunnings

Wall colour ~ Dulux, Antique White USA

Feature wall ~ Dulux, Bone White

Furniture ~ Homemade chalk paint, Antique White USA

Bed table ~ thrifted antique, painted with homemade chalk paint.

Curtains and mosquito net ~ IKEA

I’m linking up with White Wednesday @ Faded Charm, Party Time @ 36th Avenue, Creative Things Thursday @ Vintage Farmhouse, Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Cottage, The Creative Spark @ Clean and Scentsible

. . . plus all the lovely gals at these Link Parties during the week.

‘Shabby’ sweet dreams ~ Kerryanne

Featured at:

         freckled laundry